Image Map

One plant :: three ways

Friday, February 28, 2014

Urban Jungle Bloggers is a little, but growing, movement started by Judith and Igor to inspire people to bring more greenery and nature into their homes. I’ve followed Judith’s infectious love for greenery intently on Instagram but it was only last week, two days before this month’s episode, that I realised that I could perhaps play along, too. And was greatly welcomed to! Thanks guys!! This month’s episode of UJB involved styling one plant three different ways, something I’d be meaning to have fun with for a long time since I bought several little cacti and succulents, embarrassingly, ages ago. I chose this more cactusy-looking little guy, I don’t even know his kind, my green thumb is still very fresh. He’s looking a little pruney at the moment, but I don’t water him, just a couple drops every now and then, so I’m hoping he’s just in need of some decent vitamin D, like all of us are here in Europe!

So, just in time for the close of February, here they are…

Number one - Moroccan-inspired reading spot
Or, "all-the-stuff-Mr-M-bought-back-from-his-trip-to-Morocco-thrown-up-against-the-wall" reading spot.
I really wanted to see if I could freestyle macramé a hanging planter. Originally I thought of doing one in neon cord and it being really modern and fresh but then I found this beautiful linen string in amongst my supplies and further digging brought up the wooden beads and I realised that they would tie all Mr M’s Moroccan souvenirs nicely together. I liked the idea of sitting there lost in a book and having a little green friend, hanging by your head, for company. The banner was originally going to read READ but as I was cutting out the letters I realised that I could rearrange them and add an M to make DREAM to hang in my bedroom afterwards and then I liked that better. A DIY tutorial for the planter will come shortly, I promise!


Number two - souvenir shelf
This was the idea that sparked buying some little plants in the first place and putting together this little post. I’d souvenired this little can after our trip to Cap Ferret, where you can go in the afternoons and eat freshly shucked oysters directly from the oyster farmers, but because they are not allowed to have kitchens to cook other food to offer they serve little jars of pâté to eat alongside your chilled white wine and oysters. It’s the weirdest thing, but somehow works and is utterly divine. It’s been my favourite holiday so far so I thought of housing the little guy in the can I lugged home alongside some other highly memorable things and souvenirs. The can obviously offers no drainage so I had to get heavy with a nail and hammer to make some holes at the bottom so soil stays properly dry.

Number three - geometric dresser
Oh, to have a minimalist, clean dresser. This is another project that I had going on in my head for a while and think will be how I pot my little succulents. Posca paints are just the best! I liked the idea of a little fresh green life to great you in the morning as you are getting ready for the day. The cute triangles just make me happy. I also threw in a cheeky second plant, my air plant, who I love so so much! I’m going to call her Ellen. I propped her in a napkin holder and just strung her up with some white nylon. After the jump I’ve included some pics on how I DIYed the painted pot.

Thank you to Igor and Judith for allowing me be included in this month’s Urban Jungle Bloggers party. It was fun!

xx

Urban Jungle Bloggers is a monthly series initiated by 2 bloggers: Igor (Happy Interior Blog) and Judith (JOELIX.com). Every month we share ideas to create an urban jungle through styling ideas, DIYs and green tips & tricks. You can find additional inspiration on our Urban Jungle Bloggers Pinterest board and keep up-to-date via our Facebook page. Want to join? Use #urbanjunglebloggers on twitter and instagram. Or let let Judith and Igor know you're keen and I'm sure they'll share all the details. Let's bring some green into our homes and blogs!


So, painting triangles onto clay pots is a bit of a no-brainer, no? This is what I did anyways.    

You’ll need
+ small pieces of card
+ pencil, pen knife, a self-healing mat
+ posca paints, whichever colours you like

First I prepared two small pieces of card - you need as many pieces of card for how many colours you are going to use, if you use the same, the colours will transfer and it will get messy. I decided to use gold as a highlight colour and white as the filler colour. Hold the card to the pot so you get the general size right and  then draw a triangle (or which ever shape you fancy) onto the the card, don’t worry it doesn’t have to be so neat, if you use the the pen knife correctly it should cut in a straight line.  Cut out the shape with the pen knife and use this as a guide for the other stencil/s. Start with the highlight colour and outline your shape wherever you wish around the pot. Repeat with the other colours and then go back and colour them all in. Presto!

xx

4 comments :

  1. Lauren, you did such an amazing job and you've put so much work into this! I am stunned and humbled! Well done - your DIY plant pot is beyond cute (and happy as I'd say) plus the Moroccan styling is right up my alley! Bravo & bon week-end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! When I read your Moroccan suggestion in the little note I thought Hey, I have enough souvenirs to do that! I'm thrilled you like it, I really am. It was lots of fun, I have to go now and paint about four more pots! :D Have a fantastic weekend xx

      Delete
  2. Wow, Lauren, you outdid yourself! And it looks like you had so much fun doing it! I love it how you used such personal items, like the paté can, the Moroccan reading nook items in your styling and even made several DIY's on-the-go. Also really like the guest appearance of Ellen in the napkin holder, so clever! Thank you so much for playing along this month, Lauren! And enjoy your weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judith, thank you for having me play! It was lots of fun. Have a wonderful weekend, also! xx

      Delete