Image Map

Orange is the new black :: King's Day, Amsterdam

Saturday, May 3, 2014

The week before last three girlfriends and I packed up a hire car and did a crazy, last-minute, whirlwind 2-day trip to Amsterdam for their national day Koningsdag (King's Day).
We were in Amsterdam for all of 19 hours.
As we weren't there for very long and every time I pulled out my camera I'd loose my girlfriends in a sea of orange-clad folk, I didn't manage to get a whole lot of photos of this festive day to share. However I did mange to capture this Dutchman we came across, setting up his little bric-a-brac table whilst wearing a very smart orange lady-hat in festivity. After being endlessly bombarded by mass-produced, tacky accessories in all the touristic stores, his was the most original, and refreshing, by far.

Orange is the new black, or at least was that weekend.

xx

9 comments :

  1. This photo is golden. Glad you gals had such a fun time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks love! It was super tiring, but worth it. How gorgeous is this man?! xx

      Delete
  2. Cool photo! As I'm now living in London, I unfortunately had to miss our first King's Day (it used to be Queen's Day), but it's such a fun holiday. Hope to go back for it next year. And good thing that you got the date right, since I saw some really funny pictures online of tourists dressed in orange on the 30th (the old Queen's Day), wondering why they were the only ones dressed that way :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacintha! Thank you! I lucked out on this photo, this man was just so lovely! Oh, that's too funny about the misinformed tourists!! I witnessed the reverse, I saw two elderly French couples in a flap because of all the people and commotion - they obviously had no prior idea about it happening! I went to Amsterdam for Queens Day three years ago so knew what we were in for. Hope you get there next year! Thanks for visiting! xx

      Delete
  3. Oh he looks so cute! I bet it was awesome despite being such a short "séjour"! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so awesome!! He totally made my day!

      Delete
  4. What.a.dude. Love it (and kind of love him!) You ladies sure packed it in, good on ya xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! We were tired and oh so cranky afterwards, but it was so worth it!!

      Delete